But the Yahoo API gives me 5000 queries a day!

At last at last at last, some competition for the Google API, with its puny limit of a thousand queries a day. The spanking-new Yahoo API gives you 5000 a day, the SDK includes BSD-licensed examples in Perl, Python, PHP, Java and JavaScript (Google’s SDK includes Java and .NET examples), and accesses Image, Web, Video, Local, and News searches (last time I looked, Google did Web, Cache, and Spelling). Oh, and Yahoo’s API uses REST rather than SOAP, though I don’t want to go there.

And because Jeremy gets it, the Yahoo API has a weblog (complete with a double-ping from the Yahoo Search Blog on its first entry: I hacked my copy of Movable Type to stop accepting double-pings a year or more ago, wonder when 6A’s going to get around to it?), and a wiki.

Google, if you actually value third party developers, get moving: Yahoo just ate your lunch, and having heard all about your cafeteria, I think they want your dinner too.

2005-02-28 22:30:52

Example number one in their wiki, written by a Yahoo employee, is a Firefox sidebar. He says

It’s using JavaScript to access Yahoo’s Web Services API. If you want to check it out in depth, unzip the .xpi file and the .jar file contained within the chrome/ directory. Inside the content/ directory, you’ll find the XUL and JavaScript code, which is very straightfoward. I think you’ll find it easy to extend the code or to take some of the ideas and use them in your own applications.

Google: ”Oh, we can’t be bothered to write our own Firefox toolbar that will really do the inside stuff the IE toolbar does, and besides you’d be looking at our code if we did.”

Yahoo: ”Here’s some code that works in Firefox, do something cool with it, and then edit our wiki to link to what you did.”

I remember when I used to think of Google as cutting-edge cool, and Yahoo as stodgy.

2005-02-28 22:43:01

Overview from pb, author of the forthcoming Yahoo! Hacks book.

2005-02-28 23:44:31

Hrm. Content-Type: text/xml without a charset, <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>. That seems familiar. Isn’t that broken?

Comment by Anne #
2005-03-01 00:35:48

I’m pretty sure it is not. According to RFC 30XX when no charset parameter is given you have to look in the XML specification. They state that you should check either the BOM or the encoding pseudo-attribute on the XML declaration.

Nevertheless, text/xml is going to be deprecated.

2005-03-01 06:08:16

Bzzt. Thank you for playing, please come again. You’re only allowed to look at the XML if the content type is ”application/xml”. This is because ”text/xml” is primarily ”text/*”, not ”*/xml”, so it is subject to being transcoded to another character encoding by XML-ignorant HTTP proxies. You’re right that it’s being deprecated, but that doesn’t solve Yahoo’s immediate problem.

On a related note, Anne, it’s been fascinating sitting back and watching you travel along the same path to technical-blogging-enlightenment that I took. (Well, mostly the same path — I’ve learned one or two things from you along the way, too.) Don’t give up; I look forward to the day when someone brings up one of these permathreads and you just respond by lifting one finger.

Comment by Anne #
2005-03-01 12:06:42

Ugh, you are right. I never read section 8.5 in such detail as I just did. Ouch.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!

Comment by Randy Charles Morin #
2005-03-01 18:56:25

Phil, respond text/xml is not perfect. It would be better if it were application/xml. But then, your RSS feeds respond application/xml and well, it would be better application/rss+xml. So, IMHO, you’re kinda being a little hypo….

2005-03-01 19:52:29

Are there any RSS readers that are unable to correctly interpret a feed sent to them under the registered type application/xml? I know why you want the unregistered and probably unregisterable application/rss+xml, but triggering subscription for a very few clients with an unregistered type is a far different thing than sending UTF-8 data in a way that any RFC-compliant client is required to treat it as ASCII, and barf on any non-ASCII character, and proxies are allowed to recode it into any charset that suits them without leaving a sign that an XML client will see.

Comment by Randy Charles Morin #
2005-03-02 17:36:11

The very few clients was zero clients on January 1st, 2005. Now I have about 30 RSS clients w/ either built-in or add-on USM support and another dozen on the way. I love to see your RSS feed respond application/rss+xml.

Comment by Rob... #
2005-03-01 02:17:35

My opinion of Yahoo! has been changing over the last few months too. They are far more dynamic now and as you say they seem to ”get it” nowadays.

Comment by Matt #
2005-03-01 07:17:37

Mildly off-topic, but with the rumored purchase of Flickr by Yahoo!, it’s nice to see that they’re doing such an obvious reach-out to the developer community. Makes me think that Flickr isn’t hosed if the rumors wind up being true.

Comment by Anil #
2005-03-02 13:25:56

I would just like to say that I am probably enjoying this thread even more than Mark.

Also, ”I hacked my copy of Movable Type to stop accepting double-pings a year or more ago, wonder when 6A’s going to get around to it?)”

I AM GOING TO POKE YOU WITH A SHARP STICK. And thank you.

Trackback by Denken Über #
2005-03-01 15:14:33

Yaho! Search Developer Network

Yahoo! acaba de lanzar su YSDN (Yaho! Search Developer Network), abriendo el juego con una SDK y API’s realmente impresionantes. En realidad una de las cosas más interesantes que tiene esta iniciativa son las herramientas sobre la que quieren armar su…

Trackback by fuckfame #
2005-07-23 17:09:44

webservices

Whenever I read API on some website, I get interested. I like to integrate, I really do. Especially when it comes to ”cool” things, like flickr, or anything Google puts out. [Update] Ok, it seems Yahoo! has the cooler services/API….