If you can’t leave a comment…

… eh, the “please leave a comment” thing is probably overdone. Still if you’ve got ideas about what I’ve broken along the way to upgrading to MT 3.2, I’d love to hear them. I don’t have any problem commenting, and at least a few human spambots have been able to comment since I upgraded, but at least three people have now told me that they just keep getting told “Please preview your modified entry before posting it.” when they already did.

In theory, that should mean that something’s different between the SHA1 hash of the comment text, the entry id, the author name, the author URL, and the subject that were posted for the preview, and those same things that were posted hoping to actually submit the comment (minus the IP address that I just pulled out, in case that was it). In fact, since none of that’s changing, I must have screwed something up. Works for me, so I guess you can always just email your comment (anything at this domain, I’m still foolish enough to use a catch-all), and I’ll post it, since my form still likes me.

At least one thing pleases me about this: this post strikes me as perfectly appropriate for what MT tells me is my 1000th entry. No sense not being rambling and nonsensical just for a round number.

2005-10-16 02:09:47

And, it’s still willing to let me comment. Grr. Let other people comment too, damn you!

2005-10-16 02:11:06

Me, I can reply to comments, and I can change the default subject. You? Apparently not.

Comment by Lemme try #
2005-10-16 02:18:10

Try

2005-10-16 02:24:48

D’oh. Maybe I didn’t ever try posting a link, since I’m stuck right now trying to post a comment including a link to the person who had to email it to me. I wonder if it’s doing something nasty to the link, like nofollowing it, in the process of hashing the comment body…

Comment by Jacques Distler #
2005-10-16 13:02:26

It seems to be auto-linking URLs. Very strange behaviour, given that allowing HTML in comments is supposed to disable the auto-linking code.

2005-10-16 02:46:28

Oy. It’s either newlines or the result of convert breaks – if you stick to one paragraph (or, do your own <p> tags and don’t include any newlines) then it works, but if you have the temerity to hit the return key, it stops you. Okay, that I should be able to fix, though not at quarter till three in the morning.

2005-10-16 12:07:03

Okay, should be fixed. I dunno if now $q->param('text') has gotten some normalization of newlines, or what, but I ”fixed” it by just adding a global filter to do s/s//g so I add the comment text without whitespace to both hashes.

So now if you can find some way to screw me over by adding whitespace between preview and post, feel free :)

Comment by Phil Wilson #
2005-10-16 12:37:26

hi!

Comment by Phil Wilson #
2005-10-16 12:43:15

No comments with links allowed; either raw or using anchor tags.

2005-10-16 13:25:00

D’freakin’oh. That was stupid of me: I stripped out all the whitespace to get rid of whatever newline problem it was, so when you posted a link, I stripped the whitespace between <a and href=, at which point Sanitize decided you were using verboten HTML and stripped it out.

However, as Jacques notes, it seems to be doing autolinking of raw URLs (and then it was stripping the whitespace between…), which is… that’s… bleah, did I write a plugin to do that, which was disabled but I copied it over when I was changing versions? Otherwise, weird.

Comment by Phil Wilson #
2005-10-16 13:32:42

Sorry, yes, I saw that too but figured it was intentional :)

2005-10-16 13:40:54

It’s not just not intentional, it’s not possible. In theory. And severely screwy, too: I posted a comment that consisted of just one raw URL, and it both autolinked it and moderated it, because the number of links exceeded the moderation threshold of 3. I don’t count perfectly, but I’m pretty sure that even if you count both the URL in the href attribute and the URL in the element content, that’s still two, and two is less than three.

2005-10-16 13:44:50

Okay, http://example.com

I had the pref for ”Auto-Link URLs” checked, for no good reason since it’s never worked with ”Allow HTML” enabled, but now, at least for me, it seems to work with HTML enabled. Or approximately work. Anyway, now it’s off.

Comment by Peter Cooper #
2005-10-16 15:17:47

For some reason I can’t find any contact details for you on your site, but someone is spamming blogs using your name and an e-mail address on your domain name.

They’re spamming a domain called microsoft-rape.com, and have a number of similar words in the post content. IP address on all these postings is 67.19.98.106.

2005-10-16 15:45:41

Subtle am I: there’s a link saying ”Email” under every post, for the satisfaction of email spam harvesters, but because actual humans don’t expect that, and instead expect a ”Contact” or ”About” link in the sidebar, they don’t find it. In a world where I get around to doing things, I ought to do something about that.

Don’t know who I pissed off more than usual, but admin@ (an address that I’ve never used for anything) also got joejobbed a little while back. I only got maybe twenty bounces, so it can’t have been much of a run.

If someone’s expecting admin@ to be whitelisted anywhere, though, they’ve got another think coming. Never used it, never will, if anyone blacklists that email it won’t bother me a bit (though blacklisting .*philringnalda.* would sting a bit; I should probably open a Gmail account with a little less ego in the username just in case I need it).

Comment by Peter Cooper #
2005-10-16 15:57:54

Doh, good point. Small text tends to pass me by :) It also seems they messed up too.. the domain in their mail is philringalda.com (minus a n – causing me much confusion when trying to find your blog) so you should be okay.. it’s just your name rang a bell, so I thought I’d try to let you know. :)

2005-10-16 16:10:57

Heh. Usually not getting my full complement of ns frustrates me, since it means my ego-search feeds won’t pick it up, but in this case I’ll chalk it up to my corollary to Hanlon’s Razor.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.