Three ways to surf blogs at random:
NextBlog! gives you a random recently updated Blogger-powered blog.
random blog gives you a random blog from the blo.gs database (updated in the last seven days).
RandomFreshBlog is my version of the weblogs.com version of NextBlog! that Dave wants – I’m using the blo.gs changes.xml file rather than the weblogs.com version, since blo.gs’s file is a superset of weblogs.com’s.
To use any of those, either save the link as a bookmark or drag to your Links bar/Personal Toolbar, then give it a click whenever you get bored ().
My thoughts from a fair bit of random blog surfing the last couple of days:
- The overall quality of blogs has gone up quite a bit since the last time I did much random surfing.
- Dorothea’s right, there are way too many people using unaltered default templates. Including me.
- It takes more than using Blogger’s “Sports Cut” template to become InstaPundit.
- I need to get out more – there are a ton of people doing interesting stuff that I’m missing.
- I’ve been around – pick a random blog out of the last 500-900 to update, and it’s amazing how high the odds are that I’ve read it at least once, or know/know of the author, or (my favorite by a mile) it’s using one of my archive scripts or I’ve helped the author with some sort of problem.