Linkstipation

Having previously ganked Matt’s Asides for MT, I’ve now just dropped in the original, but I haven’t figured out how to have the front page show ten posts or sections of Shorts, rather than just ten Shorts when I drop in a bunch, or how to manage them in the feed (maybe by excluding them until midnight, and then dropping them in as a single post?) so, sing heigh ho, the unordered list:

Personally, I can’t quite imagine why you would want to, but because Gregarius makes it easy, and I think I’ve got it properly secured, you’re more than welcome to read over my shoulder, so that you’ll have already seen everything I linkdump because I’ve left it marked “unread,” and to enjoy watching my fumbling attempts to make tagging actually useful to me, and to stalk me in those few cases when I remember to tag an item where I commented “philcomment,” and most of all to point out feeds to which I’ve somehow forgotten to subscribe: thanks to the joy of the Doubleclick to (mark as) Read (and thus have it instantly disappear, if you display unread only) plugin, I’m finding 435 feeds isn’t nearly enough.

Comment by Anonymous #
2005-11-22 08:54:00

Apparently, Shelley’s withdrawn the ”Rotations” post, so here’s the link from Google cache:

2005-11-22 09:10:20

Which lacks Danny’s comment, which leaves me with no reason to bring up the Spanish Inquisition, which is why I removed my link. Actually following best practices well enough to see whether a link that’s been aging in my aggregator for weeks still exists before posting it might be a good idea.

I suspect that talking about ”lighting my ass on fire” brings in some rather unsavory searchers.

2005-11-22 09:10:34

Good grief, man. I read about 250 and they’re plenty.

Comment by Shelley #
2005-11-22 10:07:23

I don’t see it linked in Phil’s post, but rotations is still there. I’ve had some tech problems lately, but it should still be there.

Phil, did you link to this?

Comment by Shelley #
2005-11-22 10:09:51

Oh, you did remove it. No Phil, it’s still there and should have shown, so I don’t know what happened. I have a feeling it’s the tweaks I’ve been doing because of the PHP 4.4.1 thing.

Sorry!

Comment by Shelley #
2005-11-22 12:19:00

Its my one status — all of the posts set to internal (which should still show from a link, or accessed from a feed) are having their titles truncated. So they’re there — but you can’t get to them. I’ve changed the status of the one, and am looking at fixing the code for the others.

2005-11-22 14:34:54

The BurningAss is back: in the cold light of day, I’m not sure why that reminded me of the Spanish Inquisition, but I’m so fond of it that I’ll trot it out for any reason, or none at all.

Glad to hear you weren’t worried about people looking for your ass ;)

Comment by Shelley #
2005-11-22 14:39:09

Not at all, I like the kinky people. That’s why I’m in tech.

Comment by Roger Benningfield #
2005-11-22 15:19:54

Phil: Is there a way to get an RSS feed out of your blog? Newzcrawler hasn’t added Atom 1.0 support yet, so I’ve been missing your stuff since you upgraded.

(I assumed you’d gone on hiatus until Danny Ayers mentioned you in his blog.)

2005-11-22 21:34:34

And of course generally hiatus is a good assumption, though right now novelty and the pleasure of writing in and publishing with WordPress has me sticking with it rather more and longer than usual.

Gah.

You know I hate to unbend, even though I did already quietly do so for Planet Moz, since it’s stuck on UFP 3.3 which doesn’t know from Atom 1.0.

Okay, but just between you, me, any other Newzcrawler users, and maybe customers of that one other company that I suspect think I’ve fallen off the earth, too:

http://weblog.philringnalda.com/feed/rss2/ and
http://weblog.philringnalda.com/index.php?feed=comments-rss2 (I couldn’t figure out how you are supposed to get comments-rss2 through the rewrite rules, to use a less crufty URL, but then these are unsupported legacy workaround URLs.) I think I crufted up the wfw:commentRSS URLs well enough that they’ll work, too.

Now I’ll have to use angle brackets in every post title, just to tease and harass you, since my compromise solution was a plugin that replaces any title with a less-than in it with ”[Title contains characters which cannot be transmitted in RSS]”.

And for future reference, when you need RSS from someone less willing to bend, one amusing solution that I actually used a while back is to use Bloglines as a translation service: sign up for an account, subscribe, and then subscribe to the API URL: http://user:pass@rpc.bloglines.com/getitems?s=SUBID&n=1 makes for a nice bandwidth-friendly RSS 2 feed of only the items you haven’t seen before. It does require that your client properly handle usernames in URLs which have an escaped @ in them, since your username is an email address, but other than that, it’s not half bad.

2005-11-23 03:02:28

How about telling people to FeedBurner you? No need to actually cave in.

As for PlanetFoo people, tell them about the FeedParser Atom 1.0 support patch. (And I do wonder what’s taking Mark so long…)