My year in 12 copy-and-paste comments

While I’m almost never a sucker for a good meme, I was so amazed to see that I actually posted in all twelve months this year that I started looking at what I might pick, if I were so inclined. Then I quickly ran up against my inability to shut up: even when there was nothing but Shorts, I still had trouble finding sentences short enough to copy and paste. (I’ve been keeping Kayode‘s del.icio.us link to me around in my aggregator as a reminder that I should learn to cut back:

The short version, since I do seem to go on: Bloglines doesn’t properly remove JavaScript from on {event} attributes, only from <script> elements, so any post you view is capable of stealing your login cookie, including your email address, and doing anyth

Ouch.) So, instead, my year in comments, where you try to teach me brevity with little sign of success:

January:
Dreams are there to tell us that you horribly failed to remain sane.
February:
Don’t give up; I look forward to the day when someone brings up one of these permathreads and you just respond by lifting one finger.
March:
Do you think it’s because I have bigger tits than you?
April:
Phil, you’ve probably expended more energy in this blog post than it would take to write a Pace.
May:
Should have been obvious, but then I’m hung over.
June:
Is this thread a parody discussion?
July:
Statistically speaking, we’re doing worse than Rosencrantz and Guildenstern did in “Hamlet” — and they got hanged at the end of the play.
August:
Phil, you’re an idiot.
September:
same old phil. :)
October:
Something looks seriously different around here!
November
Oh well, if you’re gonna be evil like that
December:
I’ll bring the beer, you bring the road and the truck.

2005-12-11 10:11:31
January
Pedants!
February
I’ve been active; you’re just not looking in the right places.
March
”It looks like you’re trying to view a web page with images. Would you like the Web Browser Assistant to prompt you for each image?”
April
Simply for the glory of knowing.
May
This is what I do.
June
So it appears that iTunes uses a real, draconian, namespace-aware XML parser… except that namespaces are case-insensitive.
July
In other words, running a Greasemonkey script on a site can expose the contents of every file on your local hard drive.
August
The magic personal command line for the web
September
I have big plans for this little script.
October
Or do you just use your browser to browse? That’s so 20th century.
November
”Greasemonkey Hacks” is, as they say, hot off the presses.
December
That sounds like a job for ”Dive Into Microformats”…
2005-12-11 11:11:52

Given my lack of crowing over shiny things of late, I should probably adopt they’re all blood, you see as a tagline.

2005-12-11 15:00:14

Of course, my March reference should be ”Butler enhances Google search results by adding links to competitors,” but it’s too late, and you don’t offer editable comments like Joe does, and the quote I used instead was from the whole autolink-Butler-Greasemonkey aftermath so I suppose it still works, and I don’t really care that much anyway.

All in all, it’s actually been a pretty shitty year for me, although you wouldn’t know it looking at that list. My shit doesn’t have URLs. I’m agnostic about whether this is a good thing.

2005-12-11 15:48:50

You’re quite fortunate not to hear my internal dialog about editable comments, as I first see a typo in someone’s comment here that I know they wish they could correct, then see a comment in Shelley’s comment feed to which I would respond, except by the time I get there it’s a completely different comment, lather, rinse.

So far, no, but if someone else goes to the trouble of writing a plugin to do revision control and display diffs, perhaps.

Comment by Shelley #
2005-12-12 16:35:05

Phil, everything is of the moment. There is no tomorrow at Burningbird.

I think one reason I get such long comments is because people can spellcheck and correct typos. I don’t think most people abuse the editing procedure. I have found someone who quietly went back and changed their comments about a week after the conversation died down, and may end up closing comment editing when I close a post.

Still, I ain’t nobodies mama, and you all is on yer honor.

But hey! I have bigger tits! And I’m sitting here on a case of Moosehead.

2005-12-12 19:35:30

I suspect it says something about my ”this is going on your permanent record” position that while I can easily imagine me switching sides with you (at one point I had some rough code where the comments link just loaded up the post and any previous comments in a wiki editing page), I can’t imagine you switching to my side.

For now I’m still willing to play the hand I’ve dealt myself, but I’m thinking a lot less permanently about permanence these days.

Comment by Kafkaesquí #
2005-12-11 10:16:39

”I was so amazed to see that I actually posted in all twelve months this year”

I feel great joy over how my intermittent posting habits allow me to pass on this meme…

Comment by kellan #
2005-12-13 14:25:36

I’ve been playing with a similar idea, except its my year in tags

With the caveat that I haven’t gotten around to writing the code so that clicking on the links actually takes you to the tagged content for only that month.