<Building the Symantec Web>

Probably it’s just the fever talking (The flu for Christmas? You shouldn’t have!), but I found this (spellchecker-induced?) typo in the eWeek article A Man and His Vision for the Browser about Sir TimBL hilarious:

Much of this work currently revolves around his concept for a more abstract, data-oriented online communications network, or what he calls the Symantec Web.

That must be the web where everything’s horribly slow due to all the layers of security software, but the malware still sneaks through?

Comment by Dorothea #
2005-12-25 17:59:59

*roflmao* Now that’s comedy.

Comment by Kafkaesquí #
2005-12-25 20:35:57

If this in any way allows us to hold Peter Norton responsible for any future problems on the Web, I’m for it.

Comment by Alastair #
2005-12-25 21:40:50

I would laugh but I’ve made exactly the same typo myself.

Comment by Jonathon Delacour #
2005-12-25 22:43:07

Developing for the Symantec Web must have been slow too — perhaps because ”on platforms which didn’t have wizzywig [sic] editors… people were prepared to go to the trouble of learning all the angle brackets and doing the html.”

2005-12-26 19:05:46

learning all the angle brackets

That’s probably my problem: I only ever learned the two, < and >.

Comment by Rijk #
2005-12-26 00:55:28

Yeah… I read that as well yesterday. I was less forgiving:

2005-12-26 19:04:19

Somewhere, I have a file of the feed URLs that Gregarius burped on when I first imported my subscriptions. If I’d rammed them down its throat at the time, rather than losing it in my stew of random files with incomprehensible names, I’d have known that. Now you’re back, but I don’t have any real feeling for who else I’m missing (which was why I said the other month that if I’m not subscribed, you should tell me, though I suppose that has a unfortunate social aspect).

The forgiving thing I’m chalking up to the fever, too: I spent most of the weekend sifting through ancient unconfirmed and poorly filed Firefox: General bugs (a sewer if ever there was one), but I just haven’t been able to put my usual sting into my instructions and reprimands for the hapless reporters.

2005-12-26 06:48:20

I would add flashy, horrible to use interfaces with large non-standard buttons that take ages to load, but thanks to “AJAX” and “Web 2.0” we already have those…

2005-12-26 18:47:02

Luxury! When I was growing up, we had to program our flashy, horrible-to-use interfaces with large non-standards buttons that took ages to load in Flash! With a hex editor! And the letters A and E stripped off our keyboards. We had to get up at 4 AM to upload them to Fidonet over our 300 baud modems, and when we were 98% done uploading, our father would pull the plug and dance about on the modem.

And you tell that to kids today, and they don’t believe you…

2005-12-26 18:48:11

P.S. – nice entry title.

2005-12-26 18:58:54

A wee windmill, but my own to tilt at, so I might as well have at it with a wink.

I started to say ”I wonder how long it will be before Symantec has something that claims to protect you from XSS attacks in RSS,” but then I realized that they probably already do, and if so I very probably don’t want to know about it.

2005-12-27 14:23:27

[…] Phil Ringnalda spotted a slight glitch in the eWeek editing – Building the Symantec Web […]

Comment by Danny #
2005-12-27 14:30:52

Wonderful.

It’s also got: ”…the challenge of allowing you to cruise through the tie and space dimension of it all.”

Mark, do you still have to wear a suit at Big Blue?

2005-12-28 05:25:57

Dude, I don’t even have to wear pants.